UNDOMESTICATED WIFE
musings.raves.rants.ramblings
Monday, December 10, 2012
MY LIFE NOW IN QATAR...
This is my new life now.


SLEEP. From the usual 5 to 6 hours, I get to sleep around 8 to 10 hours now. Yey! When I was working, oversleeping (read: more than 6 hours then) would surely give me a headache. Now, I would be really cranky if my sleep would not meet that 8 hours minimum. Bye, bye, eye bags!

ROUTINE. My routine would usually revolve around household chores and mommy duties. For now that the little girl is not yet in school and I don't have my resident permit yet, its not advisable to roam around alone. Disney Channel is heaven-sent to me as it makes my little girl happy as I attend to the housework. It can be tiring at times especially that I'm not used to do physical activities, since  I'm used to being paid for "thinking" and not mopping the floor. Hehe.

HELP. There are helpers you can hire here on an hourly basis. They are pinays who do this as their "sideline" during their off days. They charge QR25 per hour (PHP275) for cleaning and ironing clothes. We usually hire their services if I'm a bit tired or not feeling well. For ironing, we usually send hubby's office clothes to a laundry shop who does ironing for QR2 per piece (PHP22). I take care of mine and Hermione's clothes since it doesn't require much ironing skills like hubby's.

DINING. There are lots of food to choose from, being an expat-friendly country. They have just about anything except for Pork dishes that you can only cook at home (if you are lucky enough to have a permit to purchase at QDC). Eating out can be very expensive if you do it regularly. Serving is big, it can be for 2-3 people so its not that expensive after all. You just have to be mindful that an order can be shared already by a couple. A dinner can be between QR20-QR125 depending on where you eat. A 2pc Chicken at KFC is around QR19 (with fries, bread and drinks), while a Sirloin Steak at Applebees is QR90 (without drinks).

ACCOMMODATION. This is really EXPENSIVE. Most of the pinoys here and other expats (except for Westerners) share accommodation. We're very fortunate that we are able to afford our own flat. Accommodation depends on the location and type. Villas are usually the most expensive because of its size. Flats are similar to condos but much bigger. Accommodation can range from QR2500 (for a room in a shared flat) to QR20K (5 bedroom Villa).

VEHICLES. This is the land of Land Cruisers and 4x4s hehe. Majority of the population here have their own vehicle, since public transport is not that frequent (bus and taxis). Some of the expats here are making a living by driving other people to-and-from their destination (called "transport service"). Transport service are privately own car/vehicle - same as colorum in Pinas. They charge depending on the distance. A short 15-minute drive would cost you around QR25 while if you have your own car, a full tank would only cost you QR50, enough to last you for 2 weeks or more. Ladies here usually owns 4x4, they rarely drive a car. If you are a girl, the bigger your vehicle, the better. I guess, for the image. So I'll be getting a Hummer once I got my license *Wink*Wink*

GROCERIES. Or Supermarkets here are awesome! They carry almost everything, even XBox, iPhone, iPAD and Laptops! Fruits and veggies are way way cheaper here. For example, oranges sells for QR4 per KILO (PHP30 EACH in Pinas), fruits and veggies are sold per Kilo and not per piece. Actually, everything here is cheaper! much cheaper than in Pinas. I would remember buying a small pack of Ariel detergent powder way back would cost me around PHP 300++ while here you can get 2 big boxes of Ariel already for that price. Heck, when I'm at grocery I want to buy almost everything and send it to my mom hehe.

APPLIANCES. And gadgets here are sooooo cheap. Imagine, a 32-inch LED TV would only cost QR1,100 (PHP 12K if converted in pesos), and not the so-so brand, its the leading brands already. We bought a 55" LED SMART SONY TV for QR7K while it cost PHP165K in Abenson! Imagine the difference!

LOUIS VUITTON. is relatively cheap here, just a little over the price range when you buy it in Paris.

SHOPPING. Shopping here can be cheaper compared in Pinas, I think this is because they rarely impose tax. Even high end brands would usually go on Promotion (SALE, that's how they call it). They would normally give up to 45% discount. Just last week, we went to Charriol and hubby got me a bracelet and sunglasses only to find out that its 40% off for the bracelet and 45% for the sunnies! What a steal?!

JEWELRIES. And diamonds are CHEAPER! I'm going gaga over bling bling!

SERVICES are expensive, a regular manicure/pedicure would cost you QR120 (PH1,350), my my, how much more for a massage? Wahhhhh! I would really miss my weekly massage because I can't simply afford it here.

PEOPLE. Qatari are very gentle people. And they are so good-looking! They have very expressive eyes, pointed nose, they are generally beautiful people. While 11% of the population here is Filipino, I feel so at home, sometimes except for the beautiful surroundings, I tend to forget that I'm not in Pinas because there are Pinoys in almost everywhere I go. So except for Hermione, I don't even have to speak in english.

This place is starting to grow on me. I love it here. My new home.
posted by JV @ Monday, December 10, 2012  
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: JV
Home: Manila, Philippines
About Me: 30-something. A wife to a wonderful husband. A mother to my little chinita. Career Woman by Choice. A Coffee Drinker.Shopaholic.Book Lover.Blogger.Movie Addict.
Know me more
Previous Post
Archives
Blogger Mums
Chat with Me



blogspot
statistics


Personal - Top Blogs Philippines BLOGGER